Academic Learning and Enrichment
This academic enrichment program is designed for groups of international high school and university students who are seeking to improve their academic skills and enhance their knowledge about global competencies while improving their English skills. Through engagement in academic preparation classes and a variety of elective classes, students improve their linguistic abilities, acquire practical academic skills and gain an understanding of University of California academic culture. This program will enable students to gain academic skills that help them succeed in their undergraduate education whether it is in English or their native languages.
- Gain effective academic skills
- Improve linguistic abilities through an integrated instructional approach
- Develop global competencies
- Learn about American university education and culture
- Engage in authentic learning such as project-based, task-based and experience-based learnings
- Engage in campus and community-based experiential learning
- Study in a safe, diverse and friendly college town
The program features core academic preparation and a variety of rotating content-based courses on various topics. The curriculum emphasizes academic skill building and language development and provides practical skills that are applied in classroom and real-life situations. Students in the program also have opportunities to engage with UC Davis undergraduate students in the classroom and through extracurricular activities
This track consists of a combination of classes:
- Two core classes: Academic Literacy and Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- Two pre-determined rotating classes that allow students to deepen their understanding of a particular topic. Courses include: U.S. Society and Culture, Understanding Society Through Social Media, Intercultural Communication Skills, Listening and Speaking, Film Studies, Exploring California, etc.
Each quarter consists of two five-week sessions. Students can participate in as many five-week sessions as necessary.
- Winter Quarter 2024: January 5 - March 15, 2024
- Spring Quarter 2024: March 28 - June 7, 2024
- Summer Quarter 2024: June 28 - September 6, 2024
- Fall Quarter 2024: September 27 - December 6, 2024
- Winter Quarter 2025: January 3 - March 14, 2025
- Spring Quarter 2025: March 27 - June 6, 2025
- Summer Quarter 2025: June 27 - September 5, 2025
Tuition: $2,150 for a five-week session; $3,890 for full 10-week quarter (two five-week sessions)
- Application fee: $200
- Student Services fee: $30/week ($150 for 5 weeks; $300 for 10 weeks)
Fees will go up starting summer 2024 to $35/week ($175 for 5 weeks and $350 for 10 weeks)
- Optional round-trip airport transportation (SFO to UC Davis): $250 (minimum of 10 students in a group)
- Health insurance: $55/week if not insured
Note: The Academic Engagement Track is designed to accommodate partner university students. Individual students are welcomed and they are incorporated into classes with partner university students. We reserve the right to cancel a class if enrollments are not met.
Students from partner organizations who are in good academic standing at their respective institutions.
Minimum English Eligibility Requirement
The Academic Engagement Track is designed for students whose English level is low-intermediate (i.e., iBT 42, iELTS 5.0, TOEIC 415, CEFR B1) or higher. If you are not sure of your English level, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org before you apply, and we will provide you with a short online diagnostic test to identify your level.
Access to Academic Support
Students have access to academic advising.