Get the Technical English-language Skills You Need
UC Davis' English for Science and Technology Program is an intensive program that helps students improve their technical English-language skills and learn to use English more confidently in the fields of science and technology. This program will also help international students understand what entrepreneurship is about. It is designed for international undergraduate and graduate students majoring in science, engineering and/or technology and adult professionals who want to improve their technical English-language skills.
Create a Custom Group Program
All of our Short-Term Content-Based Programs can be customized to fit your needs. For more information on how to set up a custom, content-based program, contact Xin Chen at email@example.com.
This engaging and academically rigorous program builds language and professional skills, such as critical and analytical thinking, oral presentation and intercultural communication skills, that empower students to succeed in global, English-speaking technical environments. The educational and professional focus of the program provides long-term value that will increase academic and employment opportunities for students seeking further education and careers in science, technology and engineering.
- Expanded technical vocabulary and understanding of emerging technologies
- Increased awareness of current issues in applied science and technology
- Confidence in creating and delivering a professional presentation
- Networking with students and faculty
This four-week program, held in our new state-of-the-art International Center, is offered twice each year (summer and winter/spring) and includes 16 hours of instruction per week and other extracurricular cultural and social activities that include workshops, site visits and guest presentations. Students are grouped based on their level of proficiency to ensure the best possible learning experience.
- Small classes (about 15-20 students)
- Highly qualified and experienced instructors
- Technology-driven classrooms, including a multimedia learning center
- Daily recreational, cultural and social activities with UC Davis student leaders
- Optional weekend trips may include Napa Valley, Yosemite National Park, San Francisco and Los Angeles
- No F-1 Visa required
Rigorous, Engaging Curriculum
Program curriculum, along with presentations and site visits, allow students to observe current advancements in science and technology and communicate directly with experts. Courses include:
Hot Topics in Science and Technology
- Improve analytical skills by reading articles, listening to lectures, watching audiovisual programs and discussing current research
- Develop technical English vocabulary
- Discuss and appreciate the power of ideas in science and technology that are changing people’s lives and the world
Intercultural Research Project
- Develop questions to research a topic of choice
- Conduct information gathering by interviewing native English speakers on and off campus
- Collect, analyze and organize project information
- Prepare, practice and give a poster presentation
Introduction to Entrepreneurship in Science and Technology
- Realize the power of R & D (i.e., research and development) in science and technology through studying entrepreneurship
- Feel the spirit of entrepreneurship that has advanced science and technology and changed the way people live in recent years
- Think flexibly about your future career choices
- Enhance understanding of mandatory extracurricular activities such as site visits, presentations and/or workshops
Listening and Pronunciation
- Hear and pronounce problematic vowels and consonants in English
- Identify syllable stress in individual words
- Understand a natural flow of syllables in words and phrases
- Learn to follow English sentence stress and timing (rhythm, intonation and words which should have more stress)
- Understand common reductions in spoken English
- Learn common academic idioms
Participants must have a high-school diploma or be at least 18 years old to enroll in this program.
*Site visits are subject to change.