100% of students would recommend the course
According to a recent student survey
Acquire Professional and Technical STEM Skills
Online education is quickly becoming one of the most significant changes in the world. To prepare for the growing presence of technology across the globe, our new, online Interdisciplinary STEM Seminar (I-STEM) is an intensive, remote-instruction program designed to provide students with the knowledge and English-language skills to confidently communicate in the fields of science and technology. Students will also be introduced to entrepreneurship that is the heart of the U.S. economy. This enriching program offers international undergraduates a unique opportunity to prepare for a future in STEM, while improving their English-language abilities from their home countries.
Create a Custom Program
All of our Short-Term Content-Based Programs can be customized to fit your needs. For more information on how to set up a custom, content-based program, contact Xin Chen at email@example.com.
This engaging and comprehensive program builds language and professional skills, such as critical and analytical thinking, oral presentation and intercultural communication skills, that empower students to succeed in global, English-speaking technical environments. The educational and professional focus of the program provides long-term value that will nurture entrepreneurship and increase academic and employment opportunities for students seeking further education and careers in science, technology and engineering.
- Enhance understanding of the power of ideas in science and technology that are changing people’s lives and the world
- Increase awareness of current issues in applied science and technology and examine new businesses in emerging technologies
- Explore ethics and leadership in science and technology
- Improve analytical skills by reading scientific and technical articles, listening to lectures, watching audiovisual programs and discussing current research
- Develop technical English vocabulary
- Strengthen literacy and discussion skills
- Expand knowledge about future career choices
This four-week, remote-learning program is offered twice a year (summer and winter) and includes 79.2 hours of synchronous learning plus 64-70 hours of asynchronous work.* The program is open to students of all English levels who want an intensive learning experience in a short-time frame. *1 hour = 50 minutes
- Highly qualified and experienced teachers
- No F-1 Visa required
- Synchronous instruction via Zoom
- Asynchronous instruction via the Canvas Learning Management System
- UC Davis students as conversation partners
- Live weekly lectures and discussion seminars
Courses are designed to provide students with a perspective of how modern developments in science and technology continue to affect the entire world in a complex, interdisciplinary way. As future scientists and engineers, students will build essential professional expertise and soft skills, such as interpersonal skills, communication skills and social skills, which will help them become balanced professionals.
Hot Topics in STEM
- Improve analytical skills by reading articles, listening to lectures, watching audiovisual programs and discussing current research
- Develop critical thinking skills
- Discuss and appreciate the power of ideas in science and technology that are changing people’s lives and the world
Introduction to Entrepreneurship
- Realize the power of R & D (i.e., research and development) in science and technology through studying entrepreneurship
- Feel the spirit of entrepreneurship that has advanced science and technology and changed the way people live in recent years
- Think flexibly about your future career choices
Listening Comprehension and Pronunciation
- Improve pronunciation skills through directed practice
- Strengthen listening comprehension with dictation, close exercises, note-taking and other activities
- Focus on frequently used vocabulary and expressions in science and technology
Weekly Lecture Series
To widen students’ horizons, content experts from various fields, including professors, researchers, graduate students, business professionals and local leaders, will offer a weekly lecture series on Fridays. These lectures will be followed by discussion sections where UC Davis student assistants will lead small group discussions to enhance students’ understanding of the lectures.
- 4 Special Lectures (7.2 hours/synchronous)
- 4 Conversation Clubs (4 hours/synchronous)
- Weekly Discussion Sessions with UC Davis Student Assistants (4 hours/synchronous embedded in Hot Topics in STEM and Listening and Pronunciation)
Participants must have a high-school diploma or be at least 18 years old to enroll in this program.