Medical Information

students playing frisbee

Staying Healthy Abroad

Health Insurance

Students participating in our International programs must have health insurance. Students who have health insurance that is valid in the United States must show proof of insurance coverage in English at registration (a minimum of $500,000 U.S. dollars in coverage). Otherwise, students must purchase health insurance at registration at a rate of $45 per week.*

While you are in the United States, you will find that obtaining medical services and using health insurance to help pay for those services is different from what you are used to. In fact, the delivery of medical services and its complicated relationship to private health insurance in the United States is different from anywhere else in the world. People who come to the United States often find that dealing with medical issues here can be both confusing and costly.

You are required to show proof of insurance coverage at the time of registration, or you will be required to purchase insurance. No student will be allowed to start classes until he or she either shows proof of insurance or buys insurance through the UC Davis program.

girl playing badminton outside

Student Health and Wellness Center (SHCS)

The UC Davis Student Health and Wellness Center is a state-of-the-art facility that utilizes the newest technology and the latest trends in student health care to enhance student visits and delivery of care.

Medical services at SHCS provide quality and cost-sensitive care tailored to the unique and diverse needs of UC Davis students. This includes services such as primary care, specialty care, urgent care, diagnostic services, mental health support, health promotion and wellness programs. The mission at SHCS is to provide campus health and wellness resources that enable students to successfully achieve their academic goals and promote lifelong wellness. 

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)

Students are eligible to receive CAPS services, including short-term individual and group counseling services, and psychiatric and medication visits. All CAPS services are confidential. Contact CAPS at (530) 752-0871.

In Case of Emergency

If you are injured or need immediate medical attention, call these numbers:

  • 9-1-1 (from off campus and ONLY in emergency situations)
  • (530) 752-1230 (from on campus)

* Price subject to change.