Applying to college can be tough, particularly for international students who may be less familiar with U.S. academic culture, but with our three-week summer college preparation program, international high school students will gain necessary skills and tips for successfully applying to the University of California. Designed for international 11th and 12th grade students who are planning to apply to UC Davis or another University of California school as undergraduates, this program will help students become familiar with the UC admissions process, improve their academic and study skills and give them a unique introduction to college life.
As the UC system transitions to eliminating standardized tests for college admissions such as SAT and ACT, it is important for international high school students to understand the admissions process. In this program, students will learn how to respond to personal insight questions (application essays), a significant part of the application process. In addition, students will focus on improving academic skills for future academic success and building confidence in their English language fluency. While attending this program, students will live in residence halls on campus, experiencing firsthand what it’s like to attend a Tier 1 research institution. They’ll also learn about research opportunities available at UC Davis, including those available to undergraduates.
- Understand the UC Davis admissions process
- Earn 2 units of UC Davis academic credit
- Experience life on campus at a Tier 1 research institution
- Learn best practices for responding to personal insight questions for University of California application essays
- Improve academic skills for future academic success, including writing and organizational skills, discussion and leadership skills, listening and critical thinking skills, and reading skills
- Gain the confidence to think and speak logically in English
- Understand academic and cultural expectations in higher education in the U.S.
The program consists of five hours of daily instruction in academic skills, application essay writing and academic success building, as well as weekly special presentations and weekend activities and site visits to other UC campuses. View a sample schedule.
- Welcome and Check-In: July 10, 2022
- Closing/Certificate Ceremony: July 29, 2022
- Departure/Check-out: July 30, 2022
- Academic Skills (2 hours daily) - Includes writing skills, listening skills, critical thinking skills and reading skills.
- Application Essay Writing (2 hours each daily) - Personal insight responses
- Academic Success (1 hour daily) - Time management skills and discussion and leadership skills