As part of UC Davis’ Gender Recognition and Lived Name Policy (GRLN), UC Davis Continuing and Professional Education (CPE) has updated its Student Information System to include new name fields.
- Legal Name: This is your English name as it appears on your passport or other government ID.
- Where it will be used: Your legal name will be used for any documents related to your Social Security Number (if you have one).
- Lived Name: You might prefer to use a different name than your legal name, especially in the following example situations:
- Transgender individuals
- Anyone whose gender identity is different from the one shown on their government ID
- Individuals who are survivors of abuse and/or trafficking
- Someone who has been married or divorced
- Where it will be used: Your lived name will be used for all academic documents (including grade reports, transcripts, and CPE Canvas pages) and any documents related to billing and payments.
- Note: Nicknames (shortened versions of a legal name such as “Mike” instead of “Michael”) or English names are separate from “Lived Names”. You can always ask your friends and instructors to use a nickname or English name without making any changes to your account profile.
If your “Lived Name” and “Legal Name” are the same, no action is required on your part.
If you would like to view or update your “Lived Name” and/or “Legal Name,” please log into your Destiny Student Portal account and check the information in those fields.
If you have questions, please contact our Student Services Department.