Improve Your Conversational English and Cross-Cultural Understanding
Global English and American Culture is a comprehensive, online program designed for international high school students who want an intensive and communicative learning experience within a short time frame. The program is ideal for students interested in enhancing their understanding of U.S. culture and society and improving their English-language skills.
Create a Custom Program
Our Remote Youth Programs can be customized to fit your needs. For more information on how to set up a custom program, contact us at email@example.com.
This remote-instruction program promotes cross-cultural understanding by exploring current topics in American culture and encouraging students to compare them to their own cultures. Focusing on improving oral fluency, students will build their English speaking and pronunciation skills through discussions and oral presentations. The program also includes special presentations on American higher education, including its admission processes, and how to be a successful student in U.S. colleges.
- Enhance understanding of social and cultural movements that are changing people’s lives in the U.S.
- Gain awareness of higher education in the U.S.
- Develop soft skills, such as interpersonal, communication and social skills
- Increase English comprehension skills by reading articles, listening to lectures, watching audiovisual programs and discussing current events
- Improve English skills, including pronunciation, discussion and oral presentation skills
This two-week remote learning program is offered each summer and includes 37.6 hours of synchronous instruction plus 32 hours of asynchronous work.* The program is open to high school students with an English level of CEFR A-2 or above. *1 hour=50 minutes
- Highly qualified and experienced teachers
- No F-1 Visa required
- Synchronous instruction via Zoom
- Asynchronous instruction via the Canvas Learning Management System
- UC Davis students as discussion leaders and conversation partners
- Live daily lectures and discussion seminars
This program is designed to improve students’ oral fluency skills, encourage participation in class discussions and learn about American culture and social issues. Students will engage in homework, assignments and discussion sessions through Canvas and are expected to spend one hour per class day on homework.
- Hot Topics in Culture (800 minutes/synchronous)
- Intercultural Communication Skills (800 minutes/synchronous)
- 2 Special Lectures (180 minutes/synchronous)
- 2 Conversation Clubs (100 minutes/synchronous)